To enrol a student, please complete the online application above.
Enrolments close on Monday, 28 August 2023 at 4:00pm. (The exceptions to this are Coldstream Hostel Enrolments and ORS funded students).
Students must be living with their legal caregiver at a long-term in-zone address on their start date, unless accepted as an out of zone student.
Before you begin, please have the following documentation ready to upload to complete the application:
Proof of identity and guardianship - all applicants
All applicants must provide the following:
- a photo/scan/digital file of either (1) the child's Birth Certificate; or (2) their Passport (if born in New Zealand).
- a photo/scan/digital file of both the child's Passport and their parents'/legal guardians’ Passports (if born outside of New Zealand).
- a photo/scan/digital file of any visa that enables the applicant to study at Southland Boys’ High School as a domestic student, that is up to date at the time of application.
- a photo/scan/digital file of any documentation that outlines custodial arrangements with court orders or intervention by Oranga Tamariki.
The applicant’s primary caregiver must be his/her natural parent or legal guardian.
Proof of address - in-zone applicants only
Proof of residential address is required for all in-zone applications. A map and description of our zone can be found on our website or the Ministry of Education website.
If you are in-zone and rent your home you must provide:
- a photo/scan/digital file of your fixed term rental agreement of a council approved rateable dwelling that is valid during the period of the first day the student commences school.
- AND a photo/scan/digital file of current electricity account; OR a verification from an electrical supplier.
- AND a photo/scan/digital file of the Tenancy Services bond lodgement receipt from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment's Tenancy Services.
If you are in-zone and you own your home, you must provide:
- a photo/scan/digital file of your current land rates invoice: OR a sale and purchase agreement.
- AND a photo/scan/digital file of your current electricity account; OR a verification from an electrical supplier.
Confirmation of Enrolment
Acceptance letters will be emailed to parents/caregivers on Friday, 1 September 2023. There will be no verbal acceptance before this date for any year level.
Your child's enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority (this is a Ministry of Education requirement).
- First Priority – Will be given to students who have been accepted for enrolment in special programme(s) run by the school and approved by the Secretary for Education. This priority category is not applicable to Southland Boys’ High School because the school does not run a special programme(s) approved by the Secretary.
- Second Priority - Will be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
- Third Priority - Will be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
- Fourth Priority - Will be given to children of former students of the School.
- Fifth Priority - Will be given to applicants who are children of employees of the school’s Board of Trustees.
- Sixth Priority - Will be given to all other students who live outside the school zone and who wish to attend the School.
We will communicate to all families on 1 September via email about their success in the ballot or place on the waitlist.
Out of zone application requirements
For 2024 applications, there could be a ballot for out of zone students. All out of zone applications must be complete and submitted no later than 4:00pm, 28 August 2023. The ballot will be drawn by 31 August, 2023.